Wednesday, October 10, 2012

GAPS Update: Day 8

Today was a good day! I had motivation to get stuff done, but my body lacked the energy, I guess is how I'd say it. I wanted to do stuff, but I felt like I *couldn't.* I pushed through it though and got quite a bit done! I made a pot of beef stock (well, finished it... basically strained it and poured it into pitchers--we got a gallon and a half! That's awesome!), I did the dishes, went to the store and to an Asian market (awesome experience! More to come.) made a rather nice dinner of boiled beef strips, onions, and butternut squash, did more dishes, made some food for us to take to work for the next couple days, did 2 loads of laundry, and sewed a gun sleeve for Jon to use for trapping. Whew!

Okay, so I braved the grocery store for the first time since starting the diet today. It was... interesting. I felt rushed, because it was already 4 pm, so I didn't stop to gaze longingly at all the candies and cookies, but I DID see some Reece's Peanut Butter Cups staring me in the face and a little boy nomming on the packaging for some chocolate doughnut holes. I was not overcome by either, although I did find the boy's antics disgusting. I wonder how many people touched that box of doughnuts before he put it in his mouth? Ah, I need to learn to be okay with germs! I don't want to be that mom that puts disinfectant on EVERYTHING and give her kids the worst immune systems ever! I want them to be able to heal themselves... But I digress.

The Asian market was so fun! I've never really been in one before, but we needed ginger and I didn't know until the man at the checkout told me you can buy it at Wal-Mart. But he said it costs over $2 there, though, and I got mine for a whopping  92 cents. So ha! I also found macapuno, which my mother-in-law will be happy to hear. I didn't buy it, because we can't have coconut yet, but once we can, I'm totally going to try it. It has a little bit of refined sugar in it (a lot a bit?) but I think we can make an exception to try this stuff. I hear it's great! (By the way, macapuno is coconut "sport" in syrup... the "sport" looked like just short spaghetti-noodle-shaped pieces of coconut.) Honestly, I was kind of scared to go in this shop, because it was a tiny, out-of-the-way place, but it was totally awesome. They had tons of fresh herbs and different fermented things (some looked scary) and all this other stuff that I'd never seen before! I loved it.

So, as you can perhaps tell, my mood has been good today, but my energy is lacking. Hopefully tomorrow I can keep it up; I've found that work is difficult right now. The youngest (18 months) is dropping her morning nap, so she's tired most of the day (but not tired enough to sleep... go figure) and although the older boy (3 1/2) is great, he loves to be outside and it's just too cold right now to be outside all day. Thankfully they're getting to the age where they can play together without too many issues, but some days it is just a circus. Plus, I'm tired and easily irritated from this diet. So I'm praying that God will grant me grace and patience for the rest of the week.

I weighed myself again today and I was down almost 8 pounds! So happy! That will give me the motivation I need to not cheat on those long days at work. Well, that, and my pride... I don't want to have to admit that I cheated! So, between those to two things and God's help, I WILL GET THROUGH TOMORROW AND FRIDAY. Oh, and the fact that I feel so much better! I want to start finding some exercises I can do. ...Pilates, probably, since my awesome mother-in-law sent me A TON of equipment for it. Yep. Need to start working that into my day.

One more thing I want to mention: my best friend ever texted me today and said she found my blog and was so happy and supportive of me doing this diet and getting healthy; it made my day! I love to hear from her, and I love her! So here's a shout-out to you, Sara; thanks for being my greatest friend ever!

May your weeds always be wildflowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment