Sunday, June 28, 2015

How I Can Be a Christian and Still Support Gay Marriage + A Caveat

I am going to try to write this succinctly, but still be clear. So let's see how it goes.

I am going to make a series of statements, and then I will do my best to explain them.

I am glad for the legalization of gay marriage. I think it is wrong to deny them that right. I disagree with it being on a federal level. I do not agree with a gay lifestyle, but I want them to be treated fairly. I believe that "marriage" as defined by God can be, and is, different than "marriage" as defined by the state.

First. I am glad for the legalization of marriage; and, I think it is wrong to deny them that right. Denying a human being of a right to something based on their sexual orientation is the same as denying someone a right based on their skin color. Or religion. Or what have you. To say that, because they aren't married, a "spouse" can't see a loved one in a hospital, or have the right to inherit an estate, because you denied them the right and the opportunity to become that spouse, is wrong. We have no right to deny someone something and then punish them for not being able to do it.

However, I disagree with it on a federal level. I believe our government is too big. It has too much control. I wish it was a state decision. Just like legalizing marijuana is a state decision. (Side note: I believe marijuana should be legalized in all states, as well.) I think it is our government's duty to inform us (or at least make the information available so that we can inform ourselves, such as labeling GMOs, as well as other things like that) but not to make decisions for us, such as mandating vaccines, etc. Now, I realize that the government is not MANDATING that gays get married, and I think you would agree with me that if they did, that, too, would be wrong. But that's not the issue here. The issue is that our federal government is too big, and the rights should have been left in the states' hands.

I do not agree with a gay lifestyle. I believe it goes against the teachings in the Bible, and I believe the Bible. I am a Bible-thumper, a Bible-believing Christian, a conservative... whatever you want to call me. I am not close-minded, or bigoted, or ignorant, or stupid. Not agreeing with their lifestyle choice does not mean that I want them to be treated as lesser humans. They still should be treated fairly. And that involves allowing them to get married, should they choose to do that.

How can I say all the above things while still being a Bible-thumper? I believe that marriage as defined by God is different than marriage as defined by the state. Marriage, as defined by the Bible, is between one man and one woman. It is a picture of Jesus, the bridegroom, and the Church, his bride. It is holy; it is sacred. It is a commitment. The federal definition of marriage is a piece of paper. It is a legal document. I agree that government should give that piece of paper to whatever two people want it. Personally, I believe that Jon and I got "married" twice. The first time was our "spiritual" or "religious" marriage. It was when we committed ourselves to each other. When we decided we were going to get married; when we said our vows and told each other we would love each other for the rest of our lives. The second "marriage" was when we signed the legal document, the legal marriage certificate. I believe that gays should be able to get married in the eyes of the state. I do not believe that qualifies as marriage in the eyes of God, because although they are committed to one another, they are not one man and one woman, as it says marriage is in the Bible.


It is not my intent in this post to to accuse, or condemn, or judge, anyone. My purpose is to explain my beliefs; to give my two cents. I am not trying to change anyone's opinion. I am trying to mitigate some of the anger and injustice that people feel, on both sides of this argument. If you don't agree with me, that's fine. But please, remain civil in your comments. No one appreciates or listens to or gives credence to someone who is being rude, calling names, or being mean. You will not changes someone's opinion by insulting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment